The first week of August always puts me into a funk. This August 8th will mark eight years since my best friend was killed. I think about her almost every day, but for some reason this week is always the hardest. I find that when I am sad, everything bothers me and my anxiety level goes through the roof. I don’t know if this is heightened for people with OCD or if everyone deals with extra frustration and anxiety when feeling down in the dumps. This got me thinking though about pet peeves and what little things can really send people off the handle…so I thought we could have a nice, friendly, open discussion about it.
Just so we are all on the same page, here is how Dictionary.com defines a “Pet Peeve” — a particular and often continual annoyance. Some examples include:
- People who chew with their mouth open. –gross. No one wants to see this, shut your trap. Please and thank you.
- People who read out loud what they’re typing in an email or letter. — so annoying and pointless. Call them if you’d prefer to talk about it.
- Co-workers/students who prolong a meeting/class by asking the most inane questions. — So horrible, especially on a Friday. When I was in school, I always had to resist the urge to throw pencils at them from my desk. Stupid.
- People who scrape the fork with their teeth when eating. — Why! I cringe just thinking about that horrible sound. You have lips, use them.
- People who drive below the speed-limit. — I mean come on now people, the state deemed it safe, so I’m sure you’ll be fine, no need to go 10 mph slower. One exception – cute old people, you can’t get mad at them, they are just adorable.
Now for some of my OCD pet peeves:
- Waitresses that carry drinks by the top of the glass. Disgusting. Get your grimy fingers away from where my mouth is going to be. — This is why I like straws, and even then… I hate when they unwrap them for you. Come on, let me do it. If it is already unwrapped, I have to flip it to the other side to ensure it hasn’t been handled where my mouth is going to go. Sigh.
- People who wipe, pick, or scratch their nose and then proceed to touch items that are public domain. Door handles for example… gross. One, don’t pick your nose in public, it is frowned upon. Two, Kleenex were invented in 1924, use them. Three, if you feel the need to get snot on your fingers, please wash them before touching anything. It’s only proper.
- People who sit next to you on public transportation even when there are other seats available. Gah. This can relate to many things. For example, Cass and I were at the pool on Saturday and this woman came in and decided to plop down on the chair next to mine when there were 50 other chairs available. In the process, she touched everything I had brought that day…towel, bag…etc trying to make herself comfortable. To top it all off, she put the umbrella up when clearly Cass and I were there to sun ourselves. If you want to be in the shade, go inside. Please and thank you.
That’s all for now, as I am starting to feel like a ranting lunatic. Gretchen, my co-worker, clearly gets me. This is still my favorite mug, which she got me for Christmas…
“Thanks for keeping your germ-infested hands away from my sh*t.”
Yep. That about sums me up this week…so, tell me, “what’s eating you?”